Fishing in Jotunheimen
The Common License for Jotunheimen is put together for adventurers who want to make fishing a part of their backpacking trip through this large and beautiful area. This makes it easier to combine your mountain trip with fishing. This license is valid for over 60 lakes of varying size, and dozens of rivers in the central area of Jotunheimen. Fishing in Jotunheimen can be very good, but this is dependent of course on the weather conditions. The fish here are generally in prime condition, and the fishing can be amazing!
The Common License for Jotunheimen is valid for rod and reel tackle and hand lines in the central area of Jotunheimen National Park, from the border of the park in the east to Sognefjellsveien (RV 55) in the north, covering an area of over 1200 square kilometers.
To combine your mountain trip with fishing can add an extra dimension to your journey through this breathtaking area.
Examples of good fishing lakes in the area include Lake Gjende*, Bessvatnet, Langvatnet, Leirvatnet and Preststeinvatnet. The primary access points to Jotunheimen are Gjendeosen, Veodalen, Spiterstulen, Leirvassbu, and Sognefjellet.
* NB: Fishing in Gjendeosen outlet is not included in this fishing license.
This license is valid for sportsfishing in the sentral part of Jotunheimen. Please see the map for the specific areas that this license is valid. This license is not valid for lake Russvatnet, which is a private lake, Gjendeosen outlet or lake Skålavatnet.
24 Hour NOK 90,00 | 3 Day NOK 190,00 | Week NOK 300,00 | Season NOK 600,00
Fishing licenses can be purchased online or via several local outlets.
- This license is valid for sportsfishing with traditional rod and reel tackle and handlines in the central part of Jotunheimen. Please see the map for specific details.
- Children up to 20 years old fish for free.
- The license is not valid for Lake Russvatnet, lake Skålavatnet or Gjendeosen outlet.
- There is a closure to protect spawing trout between the dates of September 20th to October 31st. During this period all fishing is forbidden.
- Each angler has the responsibility to familiarize themselves with the areas in which the license is valid, and for specific regulations in each water system.